Akeelah and the Bee

While with Erin I got to see a really good movie from 2006. It took a couple of nights to watch as her dvd player was dying so after the ESI meeting we went out and bought a new dvd player. It also plays mp3's and DivX and most amazing, it is region free! Oh, and on sale! A great score, Erin! Anyway, finally got to the end of the movie. Now, I have a soft spot in my heart for spelling bee films as my son was a champion speller.(Brag,Brag!) In the film the spelling coach is encouraging Akeelah with a poem displayed on his wall. The poem is mentioned a number of times and after googling a bit we found it. It is called "Our Deepest Fear"and is written by Marianne Williamson. This is the part of the poem that is in the film:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond
measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most
frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous,
talented and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?


Now, I am not sure I agree with all of the above, and I am quite sure I never asked myself that question :-) but I do understand that the coach was trying to encourage this bright little girl to be all she could be and not to draw back from excelling.

I was really pleasantly surprised to read the rest of this poem:


You are a child of God.

Your playing small does not serve the world. There is
nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people
won't feel insecure about you. We are all meant to shine, as children do.

We were born to manifest
the glory of God that is within us.

It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give
other people permission to do the same. As we are
liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically
liberates others.

Marianne Williamson

Do you hear our coach the Holy Spirit speaking in this? Be purposeful, be free to let the light of Christ in you SHINE, excel in all you put your hand to, be the man or woman of God He designed you to be from the foundation of time, with His help and guidance, in Jesus Name!

I hope I spelled everything correctly! :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The turning of a page....

What life is like in Poland!!