Six Degrees


I have always been a relational net-working sort of person, probably because I really like people and I like how they connect with other people and I really understand the concept of 6 degrees of separation between each of us.

Remember, how we used to say "small world" upon meeting someone who knew someone we knew? Well, I think in truth we should say, “Big Kingdom!”

I had a small world, big kingdom “happening” this trip to Ukraine. I had returned to my newest favorite city, Uzhgorod to attend a conference on the Holy Spirit. (Great conference!) At the end of the first session, a man who looked vaguely (very vaguely) familiar turned and said “Mary Jill!” and embraced me. In halting English, he reminds me that 9 years ago, I had “rescued” him and 8 other Ukrainian pastors when their van had broken down just as they had arrived Budapest on the return journey from a conference in England. They were cold and hungry and discouraged and still had 24 hours to drive to get home!!! Well, none of them knew anyone in Budapest, but he Nikolai called his pastor friend to see if he knew anyone and that pastor had my number and so as they say, the rest is history.

It was a very exciting weekend for all of us as we watched God (who had already planned the rescue) move in our lives. I “happened” to have a Hungarian friend who “happened” to have a van that “happened” to be available to pick the group up. I “happened” to be home with an Irishman and a Scotsman who “happened” to be on their last day of a mission trip. In addition I “happened” to have a large, completely furnished, yet unoccupied apartment available for use on the next street. (which the next year became the official guest house for the ministry).

The Irishman entertained the group (as they do) while the Hungarian, Scots and I went out to try to find a grocery store open on a Sunday night after 6pm. Remember this 1998 – way before the Tesco 24 hour invasion. We were able to pick up bread and soda but I still remember praying over my pantry shelves, reminding the Lord of the miracle of the fishes and loaves and He did it again – this time with pasta! Somehow I fixed a bountiful supper of spaghetti, garlic bread and ….pickles I think. The group stayed for 2 days, got to see beautiful Budapest and got their van fixed.

Of course there is more to the story, I “happened” to have the cash available that they didn’t have to repair the vehicle. It was ok because their ministry contact in Scotland “happened” to know my ministry contact in Scotland who “happened” to be coming to visit the next week. It really was an International rescue.

Nikolai said to me that I was part of his life story…. And he is part of mine. This same group of pastors surrounded me to pray for me before they left Budapest. This time was so special to me, so important and I remember feeling….like called, commissioned for a special assignment in God. At that exact moment the translator said, “Oh, they are praying for you a blessing on your work in …..Ukraine.” Ukraine?? No, No, my work is in Hungary! Too late she said, they already prayed for your work in Ukraine.

And in September 2006, I was called by the Holy Spirit to the work in … the Ukraine!!!
and this time I was ready to say, YES Lord the Ukraine!

Being reminded now that the “rescue” that was so well planned by God but “happened” so suddenly to us gives me great hope and expectation for all God has planned way in advance for my work in Ukraine.

And Nikolai invites me to come to Chenovogrod this spring and I "see" a huge door
open up before me!

Comments

Jill Gosselin said…
Hi Mary Jill,

What a cool testimony of how the Lord weaves us together for His purpose. I bet the group that was stranded were not seeing the good plan of God in their distress and yet in Him "all things do work together for good..." and in it His purpose. It's beautiful. Thanks for sharing that story.

Many blessings on your new kingdom adventure!

Jill Gosselin
Unknown said…
Glad you're able to work with and enjoy the wonderful Ukrainian people! May God bless your ministry & increase your impact in the Kingdom.

Popular posts from this blog

The turning of a page....

What life is like in Poland!!