Certain Women,where did you get that name?

Well, it all started a number of years ago with needing business cards. In Hungarian culture having a business card is important. So, I thought well, this will be a good time to define myself. One friend compared me with a Lotus program – hard to explain but once you use it, you’re sold. Another friend defined me as painter’s putty. That is a substance that was used to prepare, smooth and cover cracks in walls before painting. If it is good painters putty it would never be seen but the finished wall would look real good. Ah, I get it …. invisible, unknown, behind the scenes but important. But could we put that on a card?

Well, I had a certificate on my wall that said – Mary Jill Callery is a Minister of Helps, sounds good let’s print that. So, my good friend and assistant Kata and I made cards. Well, somehow those cards went all over the city and in a short space of time, we were getting lots of calls – Oh, you help people, well I need a babysitter, diapers, dog food, someone to move me, a good printer etc. – even (especially) local pastors were delighted to have someone to call.

Well, we quickly saw that title was not working. We were ministers of help but not exactly like that, I mean we help teams and ministries and missionaries and other kingdom travelers but what would you call that? I had a promise from God that He would give me a name for my ministry but we had to wait a little longer.

On morning while reading my bible in Luke 8.1, I saw the following verses:
Now it came to pass, afterward, that He went through every city and village, preaching and bringing the glad tidings of the kingdom of God. And the twelve were with Him, and certain women.

I felt like the Lord underlined that phrase certain women and say, “Mary Jill you are a certain woman and the women gathering to you are certain women, too”. So, we became Certain Women!

And my clever friend Carol said, if you thought you got funny calls before, imagine what will happen now!

Comments

Erin said…
Welcome to the world of "Certain Bloggers!" It'll be nice to read about your adventures even if we can't seem to meet up!

Love ya!
Erin
bethany said…
hey! I am ellyn's siter-in-law and found your through her blog. I read your two latest entries and was very blessed by your story and your heart. I have heard about alla and we are praying for that situation and others that ellyn has told us about( as well as for ellyn of course!). I am a missionary kid, my parents are missionaries in Spain..and that is where I grew up. I now live in Lebanon, oregon...and have an awesome husband and two wonderful little boys! I loved the missionfeild...so ripe...so ready. Thanks for serving with your whole heart,it is such a blessing to see that.Thanks also for taking care of ellyn!!
blessings be yours,
bethany

http://www.bethanyblogs.blogspot.com/
Hey certain woman! This is your certain woman in Szeged saying hello and telling you how very impressed I am with YOUR blog and your writing abilities! May you be blessed, o certain woman of God!

Popular posts from this blog

The turning of a page....

What life is like in Poland!!